Friday, May 29, 2009

Sammy, Jimmy, Bobby and Charles...















According to the late Sammy Davis, Jr. who was married to white actress May Britt at the time, "Bobby and Ethel Kennedy invited me to lunch one day, after lunch he told me: "You're not popular with the Klan or the White Citizen's Council.
You're on all of their lists. Whenever you plan to appear in public at anything controversial, anything to do with civil rights, be sure to call me a day or two in advance and at least I can have a couple of men there looking out for you."
Sammy would later learn that Charles Manson had intended to kill two or three well-known black people and Sammy was also on his list. Sammy responded by hiring a 34 hour guard service.
Sammy added, that he had been hanging out with Jimi Hendrix two days before he died of an overdose.
"I knew I'd had been pushing my luck at everything, stretching the rubber band financially, drugs, debauchery. Ten million dollars after I'd become a star and I was deeply in debt.
I was so in debt that I had to call Harrah's and get a $100,000 advance and pay off everybody in London, and I'd called the Sands and gotten another $100,000 advance to pay off everybody in New York. I had more clothes than I had closets, more cars than the garage space. Was it ever going to end?"


(Source: PanacheReport)

No comments:

Post a Comment