Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bobby was the last to see Janis Joplin Alive...





"One day in 1970, I got a phone call, it was from Janis Joplin. She had a request. 'Everybody tells me they have recorded at least one of your songs. I just want to say I've recorded one. Can you bring me a song? I had a whole bag of songs, one of them was a song called "Trust Me." Janis loved the song but quickly requested another one. I didn't come up with another song she liked and I noticed, throughout the session, Janis was down.
Talking on the phone with her boyfriend had left her in tears, she wanted him to come out and see her but he refused unless she wired him some money. I heard her scream, "You always want money from me, that's all you want." After the session, Janis was pretty loaded. We left in my brand new Mercedes 600, she whistled, 'Jesus Christ, how did you get a f**king sharp ride.' We rode a couple of blocks while she fixed a tune in her head and then started singing. A line just spilled out. 'Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. 'My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.' She was anxious for me to turn around, 'Let's go back, we're gonna cut this.' I reminded her that her band had already split. 'F**k it, this is great.'
We got back into the studio, I played the guitar and we laid the track down. I took her back to her hotel room, she got a phone call. She only spent a couple of minutes chatting and then put the phone down. She told me a guy was going to swing by. Her drug connection and he wanted me out. She told me I had to go. We hugged and I left. I wasn't in my bed more than a few hours when someone called up to tell me Janis was dead, that she had OD'd. I was shocked, I was one of the last people to see her alive.
A few years later, I sat in my living room watching the TV and a car commercial came on for Mercedes Benz with Janis's song. I turned to my girlfriend and told her. "That's Janis Joplin. She did that song in my car. In my Mercedes car."
Source: "Midnight Mover" by Bobby Womack


(Source:PanacheReport)

1 comment:

  1. actually the song started in nyc if u read myras book.

    ReplyDelete