Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tragic Part 1

According to the SF Chronicle, Shavan Boone (pictured above) was a 22-year old single mother trying to balance her social life with raising a 4-year old son, Sirdon.
Earlier this month, the young mother arranged to meet a man on a Wednesday night, no one is sure if she met the man on the Internet, or not.
She dropped her son off with the babysitter, telling her, she was going out for an evening at a hot tub spa. Boone apparently went to the "Hot Tubs" in San Francisco on November 1st.
Three days later, Oakland police found her body stuffed in a gray recycling bin that had been dumped in a garbage stewn creekbed in East Oakland. She had been shot to death.
Boone's family became concerned when they couldn't reach her on her cell phone.
Boone's death has left her family stunned.
Her older sister, Regina McGee said, "No one in the family knows who Boone was seeing the night she went off to the spa. She never came back. That leaves a lot of questions for me. "She didn't talk about whom she dated."
McGee adds, the family has not told Boone's young son about what happened. "When he is asking for his mom, he thinks she's at work."
Police have yet to name a suspect and are still investigating.

Source: Jaxon Van Derbeken @ The SF Chronicle.
Closing statements were set for Monday in the retrial of Tyrone Williams (pictured above), charged with 58 counts of conspiracy, harboring and transporting illegal immigrants. He faces a possible death sentence if convicted. Authorities say Williams was part of a smuggling ring that tried to transport more than 70 illegal immigrants from Mexico, Central America and the Dominican Republic in his airtight tractor-trailer from South Texas to Houston in May 2003.
Williams abandoned the trailer at a truck stop near Victoria, about 100 miles southwest of Houston, after the immigrants succumbed to the heat inside. Nineteen of them died from dehydration, overheating and suffocation.
Prosecutors argued Williams ignored the immigrants cries for help during the four-hour trip and failed to turn on his trailer's air conditioning unit, which they said might have prevented the deaths. Several survivors called by Williams' attorneys testified the air conditioning unit was turned on during the trip.
During the journey, the immigrants' body temperatures rose as high as 113 degrees.
Survivors testified they couldn't understand how Williams didn't hear or feel as the immigrants desperately banged on the trailer's walls and shouted they were dying and needed to be released.
Update: Tyrone Williams was convicted and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Source: Juan A. Lozano @ ABC

No comments:

Post a Comment