Monday, June 1, 2009

Pepa comes Clean!



According to Pepa: We were preparing for the video "Whatta Man," which went on to be one our runaway hits. The video featured these fantasy scenes where Cheryl, Dee Dee, and I got to make out with the men of our dreams. We sat around and made a list of the guys we wanted in the video. Cheryl and Dee Dee looked at me like "poor Pepa," because they knew I wouldn't have a choice.
"I guess Brad aka Treach," is going to be your fantasy man," Cheryl said, laughing. She even knew he would never allow me to make out with anyone but him. She was right. Cheryl got to make out with Tupac, the lucky girl! We all loved him and he was so thuggish.
He almost didn't make the taping of the video because the day before he had a shoot-out with the cops. We taped around it. But we were adamant that he had to stay. Our manager/producer Hurby was so image conscious that he was fighting us over it. He said he didn't want that kind of thug in our video. But we won the fight.
Tupac was cool. He was a good guy. I remember him telling me that he had never been in trouble with the law until he got into the music business-which he got into to have a better life. He had more drama around him as an artist than he ever had as a regular guy.
"Now ain't that some shit?" he said. "I ain't never had a record until I made a record."
Once again, my career was going well. We had one smash hit after another. And once again, my private life was going in another direction altogether.
Brad aka Treach and I were fighting, breaking up, making up, fighting and starting all over again. This went on for years. The fights we had were crazy.
One time we were getting ready to go out. I was ironing a pair of jeans and he started in on me about something. It was always something, and the arguments always started over nothing, figments of his imagination or some perceived thing that I had said or done.
Suddenly, he stormed over to me and grabbed a handful of my extensions.
It always started with him pulling me by my hair. He would always go for the hair, I guess to get a good enough grip on me so he could smack me more easily. I wore a lot of micro braids back then. He would grab and pull on them so much that whole braids with plugs of my hair would come out. It's one of the reasons I wear lace-front wigs today because the hair around my edges never grew back.
I had a hot iron in my hand and he had a handful of my hair. I lifted the iron, which was natural and he said, "B**ch, you trying to burn me?" And he went crazy. He grabbed the hand with the iron in it and was pushing the iron toward my face. I was struggling against him but he was too strong, and he ended up pressing that hot iron against my arm. I heard my flesh sizzling and the smell was sickening. I started screaming from the pain. He dropped the iron and I turned to run, and he went to grab me, his nail swiped across my eyeball and shredded my cornea.
I ended up in the hospital with a third-degree burn on my arm from the iron and a torn cornea. My eye was really bad, it was dripping pus, and I had to wear an eye patch for a while.
The doctors called the police. They knew that my injuries didn't happen the way I said (an accident). They wanted me to press charges and the police were trying to get me to tell what really happened. But I wouldn't.
When I got out of the hospital, I stayed with a friend.




I believe her about him I met Treach once and while he was cool he did have a darker side to him...

1 comment:

  1. I need to know the history between you and Treach! LOL

    ReplyDelete